Sunday, February 22, 2009

Some are Silver, and the Others Gold


This past weekend I visited friends from school. The best is when it's like nothing has changed, or no time has passed. You still talk, laugh, and appreciate the friendship the same way. Because really, what has changed? Friends are Friends. Yes it takes an effort from both side, but what makes people give up on each other?

I guess you could say its something I think about often, probably too often. I hate when good fiends fight to the point of hatred. We are often stubborn when it comes to wanting to prove that we are right when you tell us we are wrong. And when you hurt us our initial want or reaction is to hurt you back. And who better to really hurt you, but a close friend who knows you, knows what gets under your skin? It sucks. It's also weird to think how close people can be at one point and how fast that friendship can be something of the past. What do I do now? Do I wait and see if they come around? Do I become persistent in finding out the real cause to these changes. I don't understand it. I am just going to leave it at... it saddens me to see some friends get up and walk away.

I am not claiming I am perfect here. I will be the first to tell you I'm not. I have just gotten to the point where I feel I am trying to hard. Putting too much of an effort into some sided friendships. You can't sit on a see saw with someone who expects you to do all the work. That just doesn't happen.

picture from ffffound

I leave you with lyrics to the song Make New Friends. It has been stuck in my head all day. I would sing along to the lyrics when I was a kiddie, and it's interesting to go back and read the lyrics today. I see them differently than I did then.

Make new friends,
but keep the old.
One is silver,
the other is gold.

A circle is round,
it has no end.
That's how long,
I will be your friend.

A fire burns bright,
it warms the heart.
We've been friends,
from the very start.

You have one hand,
I have the other.
Put them together,
We have each other.

Silver is precious,
Gold is too.
I am precious,
and so are you.

You help me,
and I'll help you
and together
we will see it through.

The sky is blue
The Earth is green
I can help
to keep it clean

Across the land
Across the sea
Friends forever
We will always be

No comments:

Post a Comment